Saturday, October 27, 2012

FOYers lunch at my home


My friends, John and Ann Harper, are in town. Since they loved plant and flowers, I invited them to my home to see our collection carnivorous plants. I took the opportunity to organize a lunch gathering for the ‘senior’ FOYers (Friends of Yesterday.sg). Unfortunately some regulars like Peter Chan, Philip Chew, Dick Yip, YG Ong, Jerome, Shaik Kadir, Soh Kiak, Victor Yue, Char Lee and TC Lai could not make it. Still we had a grand time. Here are some photos.


Hurray! Here comes James (Thimbuktu) Seah with the famous Indian rojak with Andy (left).

The 3 James' (from left Tann, Seah and Kwok) at the same table; and Wee Kiat.

Victor with John and Ann Harper


 Andy and Hong Eng

Seow Ser (right) admiring our pitcher plants with my son

Friends of tomorrow?

1 comment:

JollyGreenP said...

Thank you for a lovely time, Ann and I really enjoyed our visit to your house. It is great to meet such a diverse group with an amazing interest of topics around the theme of "Singapore Yesterday". My one regret of the gathering was that I did not bring my camera with the long lense to capture a picture of the olive backed sunbird bathing in your plant misting spray.

We had a wonderful time during our visit to Singapore (we have never gone home dissapointed with a visit). We managed to mix all our usual favourites like the Bird Park, Sungei Buloh Wetlands and the Botanical Gardens with some new (to us)like Labrador Park, Gardens By the Bay, Pasir Ris Park, and a trip over to Pulau Ubin by bumboat. Although I did do a trip over to Pulau Ubin back in 1959 when we did a Saturday bivouac on the island with the scouts, I could only just make out the area we camped overnight. Back in 1959 there was a lot of grassland that has now become populated with trees. Another difference to that time is that I am sure the boats going over to Pulau Ubin back in those days were smaller and you sat close enough to the water that you could trail your hand in the water. The boats also had no shelter and were open topped, fortunately we did not encounter any rain on either visit.

One day we went up to Changi Village and had a look at the heritage trees and were very fortunate to see a pair of Pied Hornbills on one of the heritage trees on Turnhouse Road by the former airmen's swimming pool. Thank you for alerting us to their presence in the area, I think you had three of them in your photo on Facebook. We also saw a pair of them on Pulau Ubin that may well have been the same pair or may have been offspring of the Ubin pair.

All in all a very interesting few weeks.

John