Friday, May 24, 2013

My Queenstown Symposium (26 May 2013)



Dear friends,

I will be participating in the My Queenstown Symposium on Sunday, 26 May, 2.00pm, at the Queenstown Community Centre. I will be making a short presentation of my memories of Queenstown. As you should be aware, Singapore’s first HDB estate has been undergoing drastic transformation these past few years. Many of the iconic places in this lovely little town have disappeared. Although, I have never lived in Queenstown, I have stayed near to it for most of my adult years; and hence have many happy memories of it.

Other speakers at this even include my friends, Lai Chee Kien and Yu-Mei Balasingamchow. For more details (you have to register), please visit their Facebook page here.

For those who have yet to purchase a copy of my book, I have good news. The organisors have kindly given me permission to sell my book at this event. You will be able to get it for only $10 instead of the usual retail price of $18.65. So I look forward to seeing you there. 

Recognize these places?

3 comments:

Lye Khuen Way said...

It that the Queenstown National Library before its renovation along Margaret Drive?

Lam Chun See said...

No. This photo is relatively recent. By then (2009) the renovation already completed for some years. But the colour of the building has changed recently.

Keith said...

Clearing the old for the new is inevitable in Singapore, given our money-minded authority and the much larger population. Maybe one way to immortalise the memories of Queenstown is to instal those metallic bookmarkers (like those we commonly see depicting the Japanese occupation at various locations in Singapore), for example the Forfar House location.